?>

I had the good fortune of being offered a table saw by my father in law.  I was and still am very grateful for the gift.  I love my saw.  He told me it had been in the outside garage and was in rough shape- but the motor was still good.  It only needed a belt.  He said it was really heavy- so my brother in law and I headed out to his place in the country to pick it up one Saturday a few weeks ago.  I thought it may need some small cleaning up.  I had not expected a reconditioning project.  But, I did decide it was time to stretch my comfort zone and tackle a complete restoration.  I broke the project into multiple posts due to how many pictures we had.  I wanted the pages to load better for people on their mobile device.

Here are my before pictures: 

 

  • Delta 36-650 T2

    Delta 36-650 T2

  • 36-650 1.5 Hp Motor Before
  • 1.5 HP Delta Motor- Underside

    1.5 HP Delta Motor- Underside

  • Delta Metal Leg Stands- Before

  • 36-650 Underside- Before

  • Delta 1.5 HP 36-650 Motor Cover Plate - Before

  • Rusted Bolts, Nuts, Etc...

  • Extension Wing Plates- Before

 

What you see on the top of the table is a coating of rust.  The steel plate used for the table top must have picked up some moisture from being in an open garage.  I also found some pretty deep scratches and a few really good sized wasp nests.  Again- this was in an outside, open air garage for years.

After further investigation this was a Delta Contractor Table Saw.  It is a Model 36-650 T2.  I found the instruction manual online.   It has a 1.5 Hp motor and a 10 inch blade.  I know very little a bout saws and even less about how to value them.  Based on the little bit of information I could find, the saw looks like it was worth at least a few hundred dollars on the re-seller’s market and probably cost over $1000 dollars new.   I figured if I put a couple of hundred into it- it was worth the effort.

I first plugged in the motor and switch to ensure they ran.  Once I determined that the motor worked, I tested to ensure the blade would spin and the adjustment wheels worked as expected.  I was missing the belt, motor cover plate, plate cover and plastic cover arm assembly.  I thought I could find these replacement parts fairly easily (WRONG), so I started to disassemble the entire cabinet down to the last rusted bolt and screw, starting with the motor.

Here are my tear down pictures: 

 

  • Part Number

    Part Number

  • Main Box- Tear Down

    Main Box- Tear Down

  • Underside- Tear Down

    Underside- Tear Down

  • Internal Motor- Tear Down

    Internal Motor- Tear Down

  • Legs- Tear Down

    Legs- Tear Down

  • Side Struts- Tear Down

    Side Struts- Tear Down

  • Total Stand- Tear Down

    Total Stand- Tear Down

 

After tearing down the entire saw-  I soaked the bolts and hardware in white vinegar overnight.  This removed almost all the rust.  I had to immediately spray paint them as the oxidation from exposure to air began to re-rust the parts in just a few minutes of being removed from the vinegar.

Hardware vinegar bath

Hardware vinegar bath

I also used an angle grinder on the metal portions of the table to remove all the rust.  I purchased a brush for the grinder.  Once complete- I used metal polishing wads that I purchased at Auto Zone to remove extra grit and dirt as well as wishing with WD-40.

2016-04-17 18.43.57

Steel top- After grinding with brush

Steel top- After grinding with brush

Check out my prep work on the next part of my post:

 

Part 2- Prep Work

 

 

 

Tagged with: